5.10.16

Ed Ruscha Inspired Paper Words

For this project, we had to make a word out of paper and make it look as realistic as possible. For my word, I chose 'believe', as you see in the picture. We also had to use dramatic lighting to create the shading and shadows that were made by the lights. My goals and intentions for this piece was to make the words and the shadows look realistic. I accomplished my goals by using intense lighting to create dramatic and realistic shadows on the letters and on the paper. I started off by using lighter grey pencils and then made everything darker as my piece progressed. I was surprised by how long this project took for me to complete but I was also surprised by the final product because it turned out much better than I expected. This drawing is about value, shading, shadows, and realism. The most difficult challenge I had to face while creating this piece was drawing the letters on the paper to look like the paper sculpture. I meet that challenge by drawing the first letter and then looking at the size of the of it. After this, I was able to draw the rest of the letters according to the size of the first letter. My drawing works in the sense of being able to emphasize realistic shading on the letters and making the actual letters look like the paper sculpture. I have learned about sizing things to make them look alike and I have learned how to use intense lighting to make shadows look more dramatic. I really like how Jessica folded her paper different ways on her sculpture and how she drew them. I also liked how she emphasized the shading and shadows to make her piece more realistic and really stand out. From her, I learned that you can make interesting shadows from different places according to where your light source is coming from. If I had a do-over, I would try to have different light to make the shadows look like the shape of the letters instead of how it is in this piece and I hope to be able to improve my shading techniques. I feel the my best thing about my work are the letters and the shading on the letters.

1 comment: