18.10.16

Pumpkin Charcoal Drawing

For this project, we had to make a charcoal drawing of pumpkins from a still-life. My goals and intentions for this piece were to make the pumpkins look as much like the still-life as possible and to be able to create the light from the darkness. I accomplished this by squinting my eye to be able to see the shapes of the light and the dark. Then, I drew that shape of the light exactly how I saw it. After that, I made the edges sharp and was able to create light from darkness. I drew these pumpkins from a still-life and tried to make it look like the exact thing. What surprised me most about working on this piece was how difficult it was to figure out the right proportions and drawing the pumpkins realistically. This piece is about lighting and realism. The most difficult challenge I had to face was drawing the light exactly where it was on the still-life because each time, it kept changing. I faced this challenge by readjusting and drawing them how I saw them and what I thought looked best. I experienced artist thinking by really being able to see, create, and emphasize the light hitting the pumpkins and by making the drawing look realistic by scrutinizing the still-life. My drawing really works in the sense that it really shows and emphasizes those moments of light on the pumpkins and the light from the darkness. Some things I have learned from working on this piece was how to create the light from darkness by drawing the shape of the light. I also improved on drawing what I saw and creating it to look realistic. I really liked how Lauren created dramatic lighting on her pumpkins. I also loved her view point and how the light in her drawing leads you into the picture. If I had a do over, I would have probably made the light on the pumpkins look a little better. In my work, I feel best about the realism of the pumpkins and how they are kind of emerging from the picture.

3 comments: